httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Issac Goldstand <mar...@beamartyr.net>
Subject Re: ping on mod_dns
Date Tue, 19 Feb 2008 17:57:43 GMT

William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
> Mads Toftum wrote:
>> On Tue, Feb 19, 2008 at 09:30:30AM -0500, Jim Jagielski wrote:
>>> I propose mod_domain.... to match the IANA port number
>>> assignment.
>>>
>> Seems more confusing than mod_named.
>
> I didn't care for mod_named (we haven't been suffixing the 'd'aemon
> most of the time), was actually thinking of mod_cname or similar, but
> mod_domain looks suitably unique and descriptive.
>
> +1 to mod_domain from me.
Fair warning to everyone (just FYI while we're talking about the name):
The module is itself modular, with only "core" DNS recordtypes built-in
- at the moment, that's A, CNAME and MX and will probably include at
least SOA and NS too before a version 1 is released.  So we're
potentially going to see modules like mod_domain_mx and mod_domain_txt
or mod_domain_msad (for active directory extensions), etc.

Also, do we want to change the internals to start using the new name or
not - most notably the public bits of the API that are there to allow
extensibility, like DNS_DECLARE(type), DNS_DECLARE_NONSTD(type) and
DNS_DECLARE_DATA macros, etc?

  Issac

  Issac