httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Graham Leggett <minf...@sharp.fm>
Subject Re: ping for http in mod_proxy
Date Wed, 13 Feb 2008 23:01:03 GMT
Jim Jagielski wrote:

> Ideally, it would be nice if we had better insight on the
> actual health of the backends than a simple "do they respond
> to OPTIONS * and how long does it take", but that's pretty
> much all we can do unless go full-on multicasting of info
> ala mod_backhand... At least the balancer is setup to allow
> for load balancing based on that, if the submodule/provider
> actually existed :)

Is there anything stopping us going the multicasting route, say by
adding a hook or hooks of some kind to proxy that keeps track of known
server states?

A dedicated module could then have it's job as handling the multicasting
and letting the rest of the server know if a server is on or off the
air, in realtime.

The proxy can then just say "which of these servers should I connect
to?", and the hook will return the suggested ones in the given order.

As a dedicated module, people who don't need it can turn it off or not
build it.

Regards,
Graham