httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <...@jaguNET.com>
Subject Re: mod_substitute docs
Date Thu, 14 Feb 2008 14:05:34 GMT

On Feb 14, 2008, at 8:50 AM, Eric Covener wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 14, 2008 at 8:05 AM, Jim Jagielski <jim@jagunet.com>
> wrote:

>>> In your example, which of the two Substitute directives needs to
>>> have
>>> the 'f', or is it both?
>>>

>> The first, since it needs to ensure that the just-replaced content
>> (and all before/after it) finds themselves back into a single bucket.
>>

> Anyone else +1 for flatten-as-default and providing an option such as:
>
> 'q'uick: Substitute more efficiently, but further substitutions will
> not be able match across the boundaries of this substitutions
> replacement string.

I had thought we had debated this and figured out that having
the default be slow and a memory hog was likely not a good idea;
that most people would not require it since they would be
doing things like s/text/htm/ and s/168.0.0.1/www.example/com/,
etc (that is, the substitutions wouldn't overlap)... For
those who did, they would need to suffer the performance
hit.