httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Rich Bowen <rbo...@rcbowen.com>
Subject Re: mod_substitute docs
Date Mon, 11 Feb 2008 15:15:03 GMT

On Oct 22, 2007, at 14:07, Jim Jagielski wrote:

>> I'm a little concerned if the module ships /without/ the 'f'latten
>> flag
>> triggered by default.  I'd rather the module offered the inverse
>> option.
>>
>> This is truly a 'bug' users won't understand (my text contains
>> 'jimfoojag',
>> why isn't it translating to 'jimbarjag'?!?)
>>

> It would... it's only an issue really if there are subsequent
> substitutions *and* a previous substitution would result in
> a string that would also be affected by a latter one.

Sorry to dredge up an ancient thread, but I'm finally using
mod_substitute in production, and I'm finding this to be much more
complex than the contrived example.

Are there cases in which it might just happen to work without
flattening? And, if so, is it possible that it will work sometimes
and not other times, or is it going to be completely consistent from
one pass to the next?

I've gotten some answers to these on IRC, so it may be that the light
is beginning to dawn.

The actual example that I'm using is here : http://apache.pastebin.ca/
899919
Slightly more complex than just s/foo/bar/

The background is probably too stupid to go into - using TinyMCE to
edit content, and IE7 unwilling to honor align="left" in certain
contexts.

--
Rich Bowen
rbowen@rcbowen.com