httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Akins, Brian" <Brian.Ak...@turner.com>
Subject Re: My hacked mod_xsendfile
Date Fri, 25 Jan 2008 20:40:52 GMT
On 1/25/08 3:33 PM, "André Malo" <nd@perlig.de> wrote:

> I'm not sure if a filter is semantically the right place. IMHO that smells a
> bit problematic. It might be better to I'd rather hack that into a function
> similar to ap_internal_redirect and let it call explicitly. That way you'd
> need to hack a recognition per backend (but the code is mostly there
> anyway), on the other hand you could enable and disable it per backend.

A filter was just convenient.  It needs to be generic as possible so that,
a) people will use it, b) noone has to edit their backend much to support
it.

X-sendfile is already "in the wild" and supported by a number of backends.
I don't have strong feeling as to how it is implemented within httpd, but
the subrequest gives a lot of flexibility to it, like using deflate, running
SSI on php output, etc.

--
Brian Akins
Chief Operations Engineer