httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Graham Leggett <>
Subject Re: Is async the answer
Date Sat, 19 Jan 2008 16:02:06 GMT
Davi Arnaut wrote:

>> The proxy that the LiveJournal folks wrote, I think, copies all the data
>> from the origin server into a file and then uses sendfile to send to the
>> client...
> Doesn't this limit the network bandwidth to the bandwidth of the disk
> and/or file system?

Yes, and the effective bandwidth of the disk can be significantly higher
than both the cache backend (which is often expensive) and the network
frontend (which has slow potential slow clients typing up your resources).

Don't forget that your cache disk is most often RAM backed, meaning
effectively your cache disk is a ramdisk, with all the speed advantages
that go with it.

View raw message