httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Pre-release test tarballs of httpd 1.3.40, 2.0.62 and 2.2.7 available
Date Wed, 09 Jan 2008 22:06:58 GMT
William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:

> START httpd goes into it's goofy mode because it has no interactive
> behavior, but has no cmd to exit to, and cmd sees it's process is still
> running.  start -k httpd should not exhibit this behavior.  If there was
> a start -hide -k httpd, it wouldn't be offensive.

FYI - contrary to Stephan's claims, messages are displayed on the
console.  As Tom correctly diagnosed, the cmd.exe window's refresh/paint
loop is dead.

> I'm thinking of a scenario where the console *parent only* and on win32
> might hold onto the stdin handle.  I'll research and reply.

I'm becoming more certain that without stdout (we *do* launch with stdin
to the console, because it's only deprived from the child) we have
changed the behavior of console services.

The most suspicious, there is one fewer thread (yup, I'm guessing it's a
cmd.exe monitor thread) when run from start.exe rather than on this
existing console.  It's also possible that our WaitForMultipleObjects
in the parent really needs to be MsgWaitForMultipleObjects.

Stdin is never closed for the parent; about to experiment with that
(it's also closed by prefork and worker MPM's at the point we enter
the daemonize() phase).

Bill