httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Joachim Zobel <jzo...@heute-morgen.de>
Subject Re: Interfacing with mod_negotiation
Date Wed, 02 Jan 2008 20:42:43 GMT
Am Mittwoch, den 02.01.2008, 11:52 -0600 schrieb William A. Rowe, Jr.:
> Joachim Zobel wrote:
> >
> > I want to say "Dear mod_negotiation, I offer the following language
> > variants (for the current request). Which one do you choose?".

> Wondering if this is worth a great deal of time until we define the VFS
> in less APR'ish, less filesystem'ish patterns.

I did not know about the VFS idea until know. Do you have a rough
estimate when this will be implemented. (Of course I need the interface
now :)

> With a robust VFS for httpd, your provider could register the corresponding
> content for a request, and negotiation would query VFS providers of both
> multiview matches, type-maps, and your i18n.
> WDYT?

This would do. I had in fact already checked that mod_negotiation is
actually doing file system calls hoping it might do a sub request for
the type map.

There is probably some grand unified approach ahead, with filter layers
between VFSes that besides the usual filter stuff do URL rewriting. Such
an approach needs to be very well specified to keep it simple enough to
be usable.

Sincerely,
Joachim