httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Michael Clark <mich...@metaparadigm.com>
Subject Re: [RFC] Apache Privilege Separation for WebDAV (now against 2.2.6)
Date Sat, 22 Dec 2007 09:40:01 GMT
Paul Querna wrote:
> How you stubbed out the file io seems fine for the lifetime of 2.2.x
> and maybe 2.4.x, but in the long run, I believe we need to support
> some kind of "VFS" layer, to make all IO pluggable. (open file,
> directory listing, etc etc).

Just thinking aloud on a few other benefits from a pluggable vfs layer.

  * A stackable performance statistics vfs module implementation that
does timings on filesystem io calls.
  * A statcache stackable vfs modules that just stubs out the stat
method and caches stat calls for a configurable amount of time (say 10
seconds).
  * An audit logging stackable vfs module that logs all io calls (mainly
for debugging).

In a addition to having a way to mount a vfs hook implementation for a
given path, perhaps also an interface to replace a vfs hook with a
delegating entry so that it can be stacked.

Michael.