httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: [VOTE] initial release of httpd-mod_ftp-0.9.0
Date Thu, 20 Dec 2007 23:18:54 GMT
Niklas Edmundsson wrote:
> On Tue, 18 Dec 2007, William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
>
>>> On the positive side, the thing builds on both Linux and AIX (out of
>>> tree, for httpd 2.2.6). I'll await the 0.9.1 tag before doing more
>>> elaborate tests though.
>>
>> Trunk should also be stable now, if you want to take a crack at that
>> before the tag;
>>
>>  http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/httpd/mod_ftp/trunk/
>
> Looking at it now, I'm starting with configuring the thing as an
> anonymous FTP server according to the installed extra/ftpd.conf. And of
> course have a few notes on the shipped sample config:
>
> - IMHO the example file should not override the default DocumentRoot,
>   ErrorLog etc. As most other things in the file, it should be
>   commented out by default.

We have a specialized ftproot so we don't make assumptions for the user,
and the install creates that empty dir (alongside in parallel to docroot)
although we could add an ftproot/SUCCESS file or something pretty easily
by adding that to docs/ftproot/ of the project.

Keep in mind all the fools who put their scripts and "secret" content in
the docroot, I don't know that docroot is really a valid default unless
they take 10 minutes to think about it, eh?

> - ftp should be added as a valid Anonymous ftp access username (the
>   Anonymous directive).

e.g. user ftp pass blah?  Ok, not so familiar with that semantic myself,
but feel free to commit.

> However, starting the thing yields:
> Invalid command 'Anonymous', perhaps misspelled or defined by a module
> not included in the server configuration

Missing mod_authn_anon?

> Commenting out the whole "Anonymous ftp access" block makes the thing
> start, accepting anonymous access.

So I didn't see this problem, but I'm using stock builds and fedora 8 to
check this out, so far running that tree authless (meaning it's whatever
user/pass they provide) and read only (just as you had).

But where you want both explicit and anon access, you'll need authn_anon.
Maybe add a comment to the conf example?

Sander Temme pioneered the auth example work and maybe can chime in here.

> I found an old patch I had made to fix the REST command (it didn't grok
> large files) that seems to work, at least I managed to download all
> 4571090944 bytes of revelations-2.iso with numerous interruptions and
> still have the correct md5sum afterwards. I'll try to cuddle svn into
> becoming my friend and commit it to trunk.

That's fantastic - thank you for the commit!