httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ian Holsman <li...@holsman.net>
Subject Re: Integrity of Apache source code
Date Thu, 20 Dec 2007 21:49:11 GMT
While open source is fantastic, and provides highly visible means.
It can still be hacked.

I can describe what has happened in this case:

1. joe hacker hacks one of the 'open source groups' machines.

at this point he is assumed to have access to the source code repository.

2. assume he figures out how to change the source code in the repository
in some weird way, or then modifies the tarball.

a. he modifies the tarball and inserts some trojan.

at this point in time people will be downloading the trojan, and it will
start infecting people who are lazy. The non-lazy people (and there are
people out there who do this) will check the MD5 & GPG-Key of the
tarball, and will verify that the code matches the signatures. when it
doesn't they complain VERY LOUDLY. They even complain when the GPG key
is not signed with enough people who have enough trust.

so as long as you and your employer always verify with the GPG-key of
the tarball that it is signed correctly, then this is not such a big issue.

b. he modifies the source code in the repository directly and in a
manner that doesn't generate an email/commit message.

when something like this occurs ( I'm not even sure if it is possible in
SVN, but I think it was in CVS) then the next time one of the core
developers update their version of the code they will see the code has
been changed. It is then up to the developer to review the change or the
file being changed and to see what has happened. Our developers are
alert, and most will question what is going on... but it is a risk.

regards
Ian