httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Graham Leggett <minf...@sharp.fm>
Subject Re: svn commit: r592951 - in /httpd/httpd/trunk: ./ docs/manual/mod/ include/ modules/filters/ modules/http/ server/
Date Sun, 02 Dec 2007 01:10:18 GMT
Nick Kew wrote:

> You created a new kept_body input filter, which seems exactly right
> to me.  But you're storing the kept body on the request_rec itself,
> which looks like extra complexity.
>
> Why not make the new filter into its own module, and keep the kept_body
> brigade on the filter's own config?  That way the complexity of dealing
> with top-level vs other requests is kept in one place.  It's not clear
> to me from the changes in http_filter.h that this patch deals with
> that distinction (or is kept_body supposed to be able to originate
> in non-origin requests)?

The kept body stuff is formed of two parts, the bit that sets aside the
body (in ap_discard_request_body()), and the filter that puts it back
again. It didn't make sense to separate the two functions, which is why
they are both in the same source file, the http module http_filters.c.

> On principle, we should be reducing the request_rec, not adding to it!

If we can find a way to avoid it, certainly.

The kept body filter is only added on subrequests, and only where
r->kept_body is not-NULL, and subrequests as I recall have their own
filter stack separate from the main filter stack. So as I understand it,
linking it to the subrequest filter stack may not work, as the
subrequest filter stack doesn't exist when ap_discard_request_body() is
called.

Regards,
Graham