httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Justin Erenkrantz" <jus...@erenkrantz.com>
Subject Re: Appologies: httpd/httpd/vendor/ SNAFU
Date Tue, 27 Nov 2007 04:20:44 GMT
On Nov 26, 2007 8:01 PM, William A. Rowe, Jr. <wrowe@rowe-clan.net> wrote:
> Justin Erenkrantz wrote:
> >
> > Once we switched our code to supporting external PCREs, in my opinion,
> > we should have just dropped the whole vendor branch concept as it
> > serves no legitimate purpose any more.  If the PCRE guys are doing
> > releases now (it seems someone is home now), then we should just get
> > our changes merged upstream and stop having private copies of it.  --
>
> To Trunk (/future release)?  ++1

Yup, we should unbundle PCRE for trunk/2.4/3.0/whatever-comes-next.

Obviously, we need to keep bundling it for 2.2 and prior; but going
forward?  Eh.  We only had a PCRE in-tree because we were diverging
from upstream and no one on the PCRE side was home for years.  So, if
someone is maintaining PCRE these days, then we don't need to and just
get our folks to download and install PCRE separately.  -- justin