httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Mladen Turk <mt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: memory leak in 2.2.x balancer?
Date Wed, 28 Nov 2007 18:41:13 GMT
Akins, Brian wrote:
> On 11/28/07 11:20 AM, "Jim Jagielski" <jim@jaguNET.com> wrote:
>

>>> Agreed.
>>> However, we should have an httpd api that will allow
>>> module to register his own shared memory, that will
>>> be managed and handled like scoreboard with probably
>>> the 'generation' extension to allow graceful restarts
>>> with configuration changed.
>>>
>> +1
>

> http://marc.info/?l=apache-httpd-dev&m=115694865205979&w=2

This code is simply a scoreboard callback.

We were talking of the API that would allow module to
register the 'shared memory intention'. Then the
core will take care of creating/attaching/removing the shared
memory. It will be the separate per-module shared memory
handled the same way, with the same security as the scoreboard is.

The scoreboard lacks one major feature, and that is
graceful restart generation. Modules that can have changed
config during restart (like adding new worker in mod_proxy_balancer)
can observe strange things if changed config reorders the config
directives. This requires that core tracks the two parallel
shared memories, and destroys the original when all child exits.

The API itself shouldn't be a problem. A separate hook should
be enough. We can even add persistence to it so modules can
save data on restarts (this would require merging the original
shared memory), but it's doable.

Regards,
Mladen