httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Roy T. Fielding" <field...@gbiv.com>
Subject Re: Appologies: httpd/httpd/vendor/ SNAFU
Date Tue, 27 Nov 2007 00:28:29 GMT
On Nov 26, 2007, at 6:59 AM, Philip M. Gollucci wrote:
> I accidentally committed an upgrade to httpd/httpd/vendor/pcre/current
> to 7.4.  I apparently had a commit bit there because I'm on the PMC
> from past apreq work.
>
> I immediately asked what to do over on #infra on freenode and
> jerenkrantz agreed I should back it out so I did.

Generally speaking, if someone tells you to do something in IRC
then it is almost certainly the wrong thing to do -- just like
decisions made in boring meetings.

The right thing to do, assuming you actually want this change to
be done at some point in the near future, is just to apologize for
the accident and *ask* if anyone objects to the change *here*.

I can't think of any reason not to update the vendor branch with
the latest vendor version, particularly after receiving the 37
commit logs associated with it.  My opinion won't change, even
though the revert means an additional 59 commit notices will be
sent for no good reason.  The only thing better than that would
be to remove the vendor branch entirely, unless the svn log is
insufficient to capture what changes have been made since the
last time the vendor branch was synced with trunk.

In any case, if you have the itch to update trunk to the latest
version of PCRE in workable form, then by all means go for it.
That is, assuming you have time to test it with httpd first and
make sure that it works on your system before committing.

....Roy