httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Joshua Slive" <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: How to kill 1.3?
Date Wed, 03 Oct 2007 19:15:11 GMT
On 10/3/07, Roy T. Fielding <fielding@gbiv.com> wrote:

> I don't care what the uptake graph says.  I don't care what people
> outside this project mailing list think, period, about this project.
> And if five years from now there are three or more Apache committers
> that want to release 1.3.x, then no stupid marketing announcement
> is going to stop them.
>
> We have better things to do.  Let's do those things and stop worrying
> about other people's perceptions.

I agree, with a caveat. I think that we are doing a disservice to our
users if we don't communicate to them the attitude of the people on
this mailing list towards 1.3. In particular, I don't think our main
page or download page is currently clear enough about the status of
1.3 development. I think we should say something like:

"The Apache HTTP Server version 1.3 is not recommended and is not
being actively developed. It /may/ continue to receive updates for
major security issues, but other updates are unlikely. We recommend
that you choose version 2.2 in its place."

Unlike Bill's manifesto, this statement is not meant to constrain the
developers, but simply to communicate the current state of development
to the users.

Joshua.