httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Jeff Trawick" <traw...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: As we contemplate what to fix, and how to roll out 2.4 and 3.0
Date Tue, 02 Oct 2007 18:36:07 GMT
On 10/2/07, Jim Jagielski <jim@jagunet.com> wrote:

> On Oct 1, 2007, at 6:52 PM, William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
>
> > William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
> >>
> >> Give that some thought :)
> >
> > One thing I'm pondering is a 2.3.0 alpha in the near future.
> >
> > If only to give the "we stay back at version n.x-1" crowd something
> > to chew on.
> >
> > Not to mention that it would be good for folks to start exploring
> > what needs to be fixed in the API, etc.
> >

> Well, we could do:
>
>    o Apache 1.3 and 2.0 deprecated

(deprecated == no fixes after some date)

Somebody somewhere will patch 1.3.last with security fixes for
newly-discovered vulnerabilities.  If nowhere visible/common, then
possibly 100s of individuals will be doing that for themselves.  Is
there really enough value in making a statement that we disagree with
those many servers continuing to run 1.3 to justify sending Apache
users somewhere else for fixes?

(When there are fewer than 3 httpd developers willing to
review/approve/publish security fixes for 1.3, this is of course
irrelevant.)