httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Rich Bowen <rbo...@rcbowen.com>
Subject Re: As we contemplate what to fix, and how to roll out 2.4 and 3.0
Date Tue, 02 Oct 2007 14:10:50 GMT

On Oct 2, 2007, at 08:24, Jim Jagielski wrote:

> Well, we could do:
>
>   o Apache 1.3 and 2.0 deprecated

As part of the support community, I'd like to have this defined
pretty clearly.

I presume it can't mean "no more bug fixes or security fixes." I
suppose it might mean "no more fixes after DD/MM/YYYY", but even
then, I can't imagine that we'll utterly disregard security problems
when millions of websites are running 1.3

So what does it actually mean? And why would anybody take it seriously?

Those of us who do Apache httpd support have been saying, since
roughly 1999, you should get off of 1.3, but it has no teeth, and
people have their reasons, some of which are even well considered.

So ... all that to say, if we're going to deprecate anything, we need
to define, very clearly, what exactly that means, and what people can
expect it to mean 2 years from now, 4 years, whatever. Because when
there's a big problem discovered, and we choose to ignore it, "I told
you so" isn't really going to look very good in the trade rags.

--
Patriotism is often an arbitrary veneration of real estate above
principles.