httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <>
Subject Re: mod_substitute docs
Date Mon, 22 Oct 2007 17:09:00 GMT

On Oct 22, 2007, at 12:57 PM, Vincent Bray wrote:

> On 22/10/2007, Jim Jagielski <> wrote:
>> Say you are looking for 'foo' and have a bucket that
>> contains 'jimfoojag'. The fast way to handle this would
>> be to split off 3 buckets from this, one containing
>> 'jim', the other containing 'jag' and the middle one that
>> contains the substitute for 'foo' (say it's 'bar'). The rub
>> is that the pattern matching looks at buckets only, so you
>> wouldn't see a full bucket that contains 'jimbarjag' and
>> so if you had a search for 'mbarj', it would be missed using
>> the "fast way". In the slow way (flattening), instead
>> of creating the 3 buckets, you go ahead and smash them all
>> together resulting in the single bucket that now contains
>> 'jimbarjag'. Now the search for 'mbarj' would succeed.
> That's much clearer now, thanks. I've committed my first shot, so
> please give it a critical eye. Is there a need to add further
> explaination of 'f' here? Also, surely there's a less contrived
> example than s/foo/bar/..

I guess the big issue is that if one expects to
substitute previously substituted items, then one
should use flatten, but it results in much slower behavior.
If the substitutions are self-contained, and can't
"overlap" each other, then the default is fine and fast.

and you want 'I fooped' to be changed
to 'I burped' -> 'I belched' then you need

View raw message