httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <...@jaguNET.com>
Subject Re: As we contemplate what to fix, and how to roll out 2.4 and 3.0
Date Tue, 02 Oct 2007 18:43:08 GMT

On Oct 2, 2007, at 2:36 PM, Jeff Trawick wrote:

> On 10/2/07, Jim Jagielski <jim@jagunet.com> wrote:

>>> One thing I'm pondering is a 2.3.0 alpha in the near future.
>>>
>>> If only to give the "we stay back at version n.x-1" crowd something
>>> to chew on.
>>>
>>> Not to mention that it would be good for folks to start exploring
>>> what needs to be fixed in the API, etc.
>>>

>> Well, we could do:
>>
>>    o Apache 1.3 and 2.0 deprecated
>
> (deprecated == no fixes after some date)
>
> Somebody somewhere will patch 1.3.last with security fixes for
> newly-discovered vulnerabilities.  If nowhere visible/common, then
> possibly 100s of individuals will be doing that for themselves.  Is
> there really enough value in making a statement that we disagree with
> those many servers continuing to run 1.3 to justify sending Apache
> users somewhere else for fixes?
>
> (When there are fewer than 3 httpd developers willing to
> review/approve/publish security fixes for 1.3, this is of course
> irrelevant.)

As one of the very few remaining 1.3 developers, I both want
to not cut off 1.3 users at the knees, but nor do I want
us to keep holding onto a codebase which is really not
being developed anymore... I don't think it's so much
a statement that "you need to move on" but rather "*we* (the
ASF) have moved on" from 1.3...