httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Justin Erenkrantz" <jus...@erenkrantz.com>
Subject Re: ETag and Content-Encoding
Date Wed, 03 Oct 2007 20:29:23 GMT
On Oct 3, 2007 12:19 PM, Roy T. Fielding <fielding@gbiv.com> wrote:
> I don't see how that is possible, unless subversion is depending
> on content-encoding to twiddle between compressed and uncompressed
> transfer without changing the etag.  In that case, subversion will be
> broken, as would any poster child for misusing content-encoding as
> a transfer encoding.

I don't understand - why should Subversion care?  It doesn't know
anything related to gzip - that's purely mod_deflate's job.

The issue here is that mod_dav_svn generates an ETag (based off rev
num and path) and that ETag can be later used to check for conditional
requests.  But, if mod_deflate always strips a 'special' tag from the
ETag (per Henrik), then by the time that mod_dav_svn sees it, the tag
could be corrupt - as that special tag could have been part of a valid
ETag produced by mod_dav_svn as we've *never* placed restrictions on
the format of the ETag produced by our modules.  -- justin