httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Graham Leggett" <minf...@sharp.fm>
Subject Re: Broken URI-unescaping in mod_proxy
Date Thu, 11 Oct 2007 13:06:36 GMT
On Thu, October 11, 2007 2:41 pm, rahul wrote:

> In the case of a forward proxy you cant expect to get any of these
> information from the configuration. So you start with the most general
> assumption, and if it fails, you try the next one by interrogating the
> server. The requirement of highest importance is to try to find a
> sequence of commands that matches the request and serve it.

As it does now, yes.

> For a reverse proxy, the scenario changes. You assume with a default
> assumption which may (most possibly) partially be supplied by the
> configuration, Thus if the ftp server returns an error on any thing, you
> error out and return with out trying any thing else. The requirement
> here is to avoid loading the FTP server you are front ending too much.
>
> The conflict between these two interests can be seen in all the places I
> mentioned.

As I said earlier, it is perfectly reasonable to add functionality that
allows the admin to specify concrete behaviour, so instead of "try A, and
if that fails try B" the admin can just say "try B, don't waste your time
trying A". This can be accomplished by a few lines of code in the existing
module.

> (OT):
> In case you do have spare time, and working on the mod_proxy_ftp, could
> you please review the patches (41676, 43231, 43275, 31490, 27835)? I had
> submitted these some time back but does not seem to have garnered any
> interest.

Let me make some time and take a look.

Regards,
Graham