httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: mod_substitute docs
Date Mon, 22 Oct 2007 17:42:37 GMT
Jim Jagielski wrote:

> Say you are looking for 'foo' and have a bucket that
> contains 'jimfoojag'. The fast way to handle this would
> be to split off 3 buckets from this, one containing
> 'jim', the other containing 'jag' and the middle one that
> contains the substitute for 'foo' (say it's 'bar'). The rub
> is that the pattern matching looks at buckets only, so you
> wouldn't see a full bucket that contains 'jimbarjag' and
> so if you had a search for 'mbarj', it would be missed using
> the "fast way". In the slow way (flattening), instead
> of creating the 3 buckets, you go ahead and smash them all
> together resulting in the single bucket that now contains
> 'jimbarjag'. Now the search for 'mbarj' would succeed.

I'm a little concerned if the module ships /without/ the 'f'latten flag
triggered by default.  I'd rather the module offered the inverse option.

This is truly a 'bug' users won't understand (my text contains 'jimfoojag',
why isn't it translating to 'jimbarjag'?!?)

And it's an implementation detail that should be kept from the user 99% of
the time.  So what if we offer a 'f'ast or 'o'ptimized bucket-only flag
for users who want to get it trouble (works with one generator and not some
other, or works until a filter is inserted, or whatever)?

Bill