httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: win32 binary build, committed to VC6 for life of 2.2.x?
Date Tue, 16 Oct 2007 17:57:25 GMT
Eric Covener wrote:
> Will the transition to a new MS compiler necessarily be on a major
> release boundary? Or is this really on the table at any given time
> based on the binaries being more or less a convenience?
>
> wrt third-party modules, it seems like we will have to eventually pull
> the trigger and lead (force) the upgrade.

I envision this being httpd 2.4 - following our interest in maintaining
binary compatibility.  A plethora of MSVCRT's out there adds to the
complexity of following the principal for Windows.

Of course there is the issue of loading third party binaries, and I hope
that ActiveState and others finally catch up, too.

We won't /break/ VC 6/7 builds, but our defacto binary would likely be VC8
along the timetable of the next httpd minor or major release.

FYI the next httpd 2.2.7 should build just fine on VC8 for either x86 or x64.
With luck it will even compile cleaner on x64 than it does now.  Only APR
is really thoroughly 'tested' as being ready for x64, however.