httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Chris Darroch <chr...@pearsoncmg.com>
Subject Re: thoughts on ETags and mod_dav
Date Fri, 12 Oct 2007 19:12:16 GMT
Henrik Nordstrom wrote:

> On fre, 2007-10-12 at 00:25 -0400, Chris Darroch wrote:
>
>>    RFC 2616 section 14.24 (and 14.26 is similar) says, "If the request
>> would, without the If-Match header field, result in anything other than a
>> 2xx or 412 status, then the If-Match header MUST be ignored."  Thus in
>> the typical case, if a resource doesn't exist, 404 should be returned,
>> so ap_meets_conditions() doesn't need to handle this case at all.
>
> There is more to HTTP than only GET/HEAD.
>
> If-Match: *
> and
> If-None-Match: *
>
> is quite relevant only taking 2616 into account

   Agreed -- by "in the typical case", I didn't mean "in all cases
covered by RFC 2616", although I don't think I made that particularly
clear.

   I just meant that ap_meets_conditions() was likely written with
the methods that handled by the core handler in mind; that's why its
logic has remained largely unchanged for many years.  PUT isn't
supported by the core handler, or most "typical" content handlers.
WebDAV happens to bring this issue to light, perhaps because it's
increasingly widely utilized.

   I'm all in favour of trying to make ap_meets_conditions() as generic
and correct as possible, as I said:

>    Personally, I'd be inclined to try to make ap_meets_conditions()
> handle support these different situations in as generic a way as
> possible

   But, to do this it may be necessary to have data available that
isn't at present.  That's why I was interested in exploring various
options, such as using r->no_local_copy.  Or, possibly, we could
add an r->does_not_exist flag which would be 0 by default; this
could be introduced without compability problems, I think.
Modules which needed to indicate that they were dealing with a
resource that didn't exist, e.g., lock-null resources in mod_dav,
could set the flag to 1.

Chris.

--
GPG Key ID: 366A375B