httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: mod_substitute in 2.2's experimental?
Date Mon, 08 Oct 2007 17:54:12 GMT
Jeff Trawick wrote:
> On 10/8/07, Jim Jagielski <jim@jagunet.com> wrote:
>> Thoughts on adding mod_substitute to 2.2.x under experimental?
>
> if in 2.2.x at all, why not in the normal modules directory?  is it
> really experimental, or is experimental considered a political
> compromise, or is there something else I'm not thinking of?

Agreed with Jeff, +1 to modules/filters/, -0 to modules/experimental/

Several reasons to drop it in experimental;

 * directive names or behavior that would change between 2.2.7 to 2.2.x
 * optional hook functionality that would change sometime by 2.2.x
 * new hook or fn provider that would change sometime by 2.2.x
 * filter names that would change sometime by 2.2.x

It doesn't include any of the first three, and the last wouldn't make
sense to change again now that all are happy with substitute.

So no sense I can see in experimental/

I'll note that _filter.so isn't as redundant as you thought it was, there
was a module name I tripped over recently that I didn't recognize at first,
and identifying it with _filter causes the light bulb to flash on and say
"oh yea - that's another filter that could be plugged in, but the module
doesn't do anything to the request cycle".

Bill