httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ruediger Pluem <rpl...@apache.org>
Subject Re: mod_proxy & &headers
Date Wed, 03 Oct 2007 11:27:58 GMT

On 10/03/2007 12:44 PM, Nick Gearls wrote:
> Maybe I didn't describe the global picture, sorry.
> There are obviously known headers that will never contain a URL, like
> the "Date" you mentioned, and several others.
> However, you may have other headers containing the host URL, like
> "Destination" for the WebDAV protocol.
> So, I was asking to check every header (we may potentially discard known
> ones, but that's an optimization) for the proxy/back-end URL, and fix it
> if needed.
>
> Concretely, when using WebDAV, you can copy a file from one location to
> another; the client sends a "COPY" command on a URI "/dir/file", and
> sets a "Destination" header to - in my example -
> "https://proxy/newdir/newfile".
> The WebDAV server refuses this because it receives a command to copy
>> from "http://back-end/dir/file" to "https://proxy/newdir/newfile".

AFAIK this information is not only contained in the header but also in
the XML bodies WebDav uses during request and response.
There are cases where you need to ensure that reverse proxy and backend
have the same name and WebDav seams to be one of them.

There are different ways of getting this. e.g:

1. Using different DNS servers or via hosts files and using ProxyPass / http://proxy/
2. Using ProxyPreserveHost and using the same ServerName on the backend as on the frontend.

In order to create SSL URL's on the non SSL backend set ServerName to https://proxy.

Regards

RĂ¼diger