httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ruediger Pluem <rpl...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Proxying OPTIONS *
Date Tue, 02 Oct 2007 21:56:28 GMT

On 10/02/2007 11:21 PM, Jim Jagielski wrote:

> On Oct 2, 2007, at 4:39 PM, Roy T. Fielding wrote:

>>> Could you clarify, though?  If PROPGET or PUT is supported on some
>>> subset of the server space, is it advertised by OPTIONS *?
>>
>> Nope.  * is not a resource.  Since it is impossible to know the
>> mask of the entire resource space, HTTP does not require that
>> Allow be included on OPTIONS * responses.  Just committed a fix.
>>

> Wow. That I would not have understood from the RFC at all.

Slightly off topic, but this gives me the idea that we could use
OPTIONS * as some kind of ping / health check for pooled connections
in mod_proxy_http before sending a request (at least in the reverse
proxy case before sending a request that is not idempotent or after
the connection has not been used for a certain amount of time).
The current is_connected check has a race condition if the keepalive
timer of the backend server kills the connection just after our check
and before it received our request.

Regards

RĂ¼diger