httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Marc Mongenet" <m...@mongenet.ch>
Subject Compiling Apache for Microsoft Windows document
Date Wed, 24 Oct 2007 02:01:21 GMT
Hello,

I compiled httpd-2.2.6-win32-src-r2.zip with Visual C++ 2005 Express
following the instructions given by
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/platform/win_compiling.html.
On IRC, niq suggested me to post comments/suggestions for improvement
of http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/platform/win_compiling.html
on the dev list.

Note that I am not very familiar with VC++.

I propose to separate the "requirements" (disk space, Visual C++
minimal version, Platform SDK version, awk) from "compilation
instructions" (running VCVARS32, setenv.bat, perl srclib\apr\build\cvtdsp.pl
-2005, ...) For instance, it is not very clear (for me) if
"c:\Program Files\Platform SDK\setenv.bat" must be run only one
time (installation), or after each reboot (compilation instruction).

I also suggest to seperate the instructions for command line compilation
from the instructions for the GUI. Because in the current document, it is
not always 100% clear if a sentence applies to command line compilation
or GUI compilation.

The "Warning about building Apache from the development tree"
(or at least a link to the warning) could be placed somewhere near
the top of the document.

The paragraph starting with "Exported .mak files pose a greater
hassle" is a bit difficult to understand.

Minor details:

I do not have
"c:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio\VC98\Bin\VCVARS32"
but I have
"c:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\VC\bin\vcvars32.bat"

I do not have
"c:\Program Files\Platform SDK\setenv.bat"
but I have
 "c:\Program Files\Microsoft Platform SDK\SetEnv.Cmd"
(not sure it performs the same actions)

The GUI did not convert .dsp files to ".msproj" files but to
".vcproj" files.

--
Marc Mongenet
Creator of the Web 2 Markup Language