httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <...@jaguNET.com>
Subject Re: How to kill 1.3?
Date Wed, 03 Oct 2007 19:51:56 GMT

On Oct 3, 2007, at 3:15 PM, Joshua Slive wrote:

> On 10/3/07, Roy T. Fielding <fielding@gbiv.com> wrote:
>
>> I don't care what the uptake graph says.  I don't care what people
>> outside this project mailing list think, period, about this project.
>> And if five years from now there are three or more Apache committers
>> that want to release 1.3.x, then no stupid marketing announcement
>> is going to stop them.
>>
>> We have better things to do.  Let's do those things and stop worrying
>> about other people's perceptions.
>
> I agree, with a caveat. I think that we are doing a disservice to our
> users if we don't communicate to them the attitude of the people on
> this mailing list towards 1.3. In particular, I don't think our main
> page or download page is currently clear enough about the status of
> 1.3 development. I think we should say something like:
>
> "The Apache HTTP Server version 1.3 is not recommended and is not
> being actively developed. It /may/ continue to receive updates for
> major security issues, but other updates are unlikely. We recommend
> that you choose version 2.2 in its place."
>
> Unlike Bill's manifesto, this statement is not meant to constrain the
> developers, but simply to communicate the current state of development
> to the users.

Even that would be good enough... To be honest, however, we need
to recall that 1.3 also pre-supposes the availability of various
1.3 modules (mod_jk, mod_ssl, PHP, ) that we really don't
have that much control over (note that it took some time after
1.3.39 was released before mod_ssl was updated for it). So even
if we continue to release 1.3, the reality is that module developers
will also tend to drop "support" for 1.3, which kind of
causes a feedback.