httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Nick Kew <n...@webthing.com>
Subject Re: mod_proxy & &headers
Date Wed, 03 Oct 2007 11:03:09 GMT
On Wed, 03 Oct 2007 12:44:28 +0200
Nick Gearls <nickgearls@gmail.com> wrote:

> I personally have the problem with WebDAV, which is obviously a
> common one because of the standard, so we could fix only that header;
> but I imagine some other applications could use the same mechanism,
> so why not generalizing this to all headers ?

Different headers have different patterns and different semantics.
There's no single rewrite that would work everywhere.  See for
example the treatment of cookies.

What might be an idea is to make the list of headers to rewrite
a configuration option.  I did a similar thing in mod_proxy_html 3
with ProxyHTMLLinks and ProxyHTMLEvents.

> Excepting the little overhead, I find this a very robust solution. I
> don't think it breaks anything, so I would not see it as a behavior
> redesign.

It would break headers that contain a URL-like pattern that isn't
a URL.  And if you think that's unlikely, just look at the number
of false positives in desktop software (e.g. mailers) that guesses
links and makes http://www.example.org or even just www.example.com
clickable.

--
Nick Kew