httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Joe Orton <jor...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: Time to chop exports.c in half?
Date Tue, 02 Oct 2007 10:18:01 GMT
On Mon, Oct 01, 2007 at 02:22:11AM -0500, William Rowe wrote:
> server/Makefile.in;
>
> export_files:
>         tmp=export_files_unsorted.txt; \
>         rm -f $$tmp && touch $$tmp; \
>         for dir in $(EXPORT_DIRS); do \
>             ls $$dir/*.h >> $$tmp; \
>         done; \
>         for dir in $(EXPORT_DIRS_APR); do \
>             (ls $$dir/ap[ru].h $$dir/ap[ru]_*.h >> $$tmp 2>/dev/null); \
>         done; \
>         sort -u $$tmp > $@; \
>         rm -f $$tmp
>
> Isn't it time, already, do do away with everything related to EXPORT_DIRS_APR
> in httpd 2.3-dev?  (Obviously I wouldn't suggest changing anything for 2.2).
>
> It seems every modern OS should do a perfectly respectible job of binding
> dynamic libraries and their symbols without this extra, leftover cruft.

It's still necessary where APR/APR-util are built as static archives
rather than shared libraries (i.e. configure --disable-shared).  To be
able to avoid it in httpd would mean exporting the $enable_shared from
apr/configure somehow.  (it is certainly useful and reduces the size of
the httpd binary by something like 25% for a minimal build IIRC)

joe