httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <...@jaguNET.com>
Subject Re: mod_substitute docs
Date Mon, 22 Oct 2007 13:29:15 GMT

On Oct 20, 2007, at 4:59 PM, Vincent Bray wrote:

> Hullo,
>
> I'm attempting to document this module but can't figure out what the f
> (flatten) flag does (bucket brigade munging makes my eyes cross). Any
> clues?

Say you are looking for 'foo' and have a bucket that
contains 'jimfoojag'. The fast way to handle this would
be to split off 3 buckets from this, one containing
'jim', the other containing 'jag' and the middle one that
contains the substitute for 'foo' (say it's 'bar'). The rub
is that the pattern matching looks at buckets only, so you
wouldn't see a full bucket that contains 'jimbarjag' and
so if you had a search for 'mbarj', it would be missed using
the "fast way". In the slow way (flattening), instead
of creating the 3 buckets, you go ahead and smash them all
together resulting in the single bucket that now contains
'jimbarjag'. Now the search for 'mbarj' would succeed.