httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <...@jaguNET.com>
Subject Re: AP_CONN_CLOSE on force-response-1.0
Date Tue, 09 Oct 2007 18:41:19 GMT

On Oct 9, 2007, at 2:19 PM, Joshua Slive wrote:

> On 10/9/07, Jim Jagielski <jim@jagunet.com> wrote:
>
>> All I'm saying is that, iirc, the intent of force-response-1.0 is
>> to force a 1.0 response and disable keepalives... it was designed
>> to work around buggy browsers that had problems with 1.1 features,
>> including wonky 1.0-type keepalives.
>
> No, you are thinking of downgrade-1.0 or nokeepalive.
>
> force-response-1.0, according to the docs, is only supposed to change
> the response-line, and nothing else. It was specifically designed for
> stupid clients (AOL) that couldn't handle a response with HTTP/1.1 in
> the response line, even if only HTTP/1.0 features were used. See:
> http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/env.html#special

Hasn't force-response-1.0 been disabling keepalives for *years*??
If I recall, again it's been awhile, the keepalive thing was a major
part of the problem...

I can't see changing the behavior now, after all these years.
If we want to create a variant that maintains the feasibility of
keepalives, then a big +1 for that, but it should be a new
envvar, not changing the userland experience of an existing one...

Just my 2c :)