httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Nick Kew <n...@webthing.com>
Subject Re: IE7, application/x-tar and our archive.apache.org .tar.gz's
Date Tue, 11 Sep 2007 22:47:16 GMT

On 11 Sep 2007, at 23:26, William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:

> Best I can figure, this is really "application/x-tar+x-gzip" (or would
> that be "application/x-gzip+x-tar"?) if we don't want to (and we don't
> want to) advertise the content stream as gzip'ed (preventing automatic
> inflation which would cause md5/asc sigs to mismatch).

I disagree.  The right thing is indeed to advertise it as gzipped,
and provide sigs for the uncompressed tarballs (alongside the
compressed ones).  In fact we could reduce the number of
sig files by providing MD5s for everything in one file, and then
just PGP-sign the MD5 file.

> HTTP/1.1 200 OK
> Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2007 21:59:17 GMT
> Server: Apache/2.3.0-dev (Unix)
> Last-Modified: Thu, 06 Sep 2007 19:31:02 GMT
> ETag: "b1b7be-5bfe97-9007c980"
> Accept-Ranges: bytes

An application that understands tar may unpack that.

Does a Content-Disposition header help with IE7?
And would it help browsers if we supply a Content-MD5 header?

--
Nick Kew