httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Roy T.Fielding <field...@gbiv.com>
Subject Re: new webaccel appliance
Date Tue, 18 Sep 2007 17:40:03 GMT
On Sep 18, 2007, at 6:46 PM, Plüm, Rüdiger, VF-Group wrote:
> This works "as designed". Please see the difference between the
> accept headers sent by
> IE6 and Firefox
>
> IE6    : Accept-Encoding: gzip, deflate
> Firefox: Accept-Encoding: gzip,deflate
>
> IE6 adds an additional space between gzip and deflate.
> As the response varies on Accept-Encoding two representations of
> the response get saved
> (which are actually the same).
> It could be argued that this should not matter.

Argued?  The space does not change the value of the field (which is
a comma-separated list).  The question is really up to us as to how
much effort we make to compare the values for equality, since the
non-match just makes our cache slow and bulky.  Given the number
of those browsers, we should special-case this comparison.

....Roy