httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <...@jaguNET.com>
Subject Re: Apache proxy engineering specs
Date Mon, 10 Sep 2007 18:27:22 GMT
In that case, I think we can answer your question...
As you know, HTTP operates above tcp/ip which means
that there is the normal tcp/ip handshaking
and "flow" between the client and Apache, whether
Apache is itself handling the request or if
it is a proxy for another server. Apache simply
takes the request that comes in from the client
and then "passes that through" to the backend,
pretending to be a client, if you catch my drift.
If you were to sniff the traffic between the
client and Apache, you would not be able to tell,
at the tcp/ip layer, whether Apache would be operating
as a proxy or not.