httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Herring, Ed" <>
Subject RE: 2.2.7
Date Thu, 27 Sep 2007 15:14:11 GMT
Very well put Rich.

Ed Herring
AMR2 BaR Administrator
Cell Phone 512-917-8480

From: Rich Bowen []
Sent: Thursday, September 27, 2007 8:39 AM
Subject: Re: 2.2.7

	Regarding the threatening mail from Roy T. Fielding, :
	"There would not be a windows version of Apache without Bill's
	to keep it alive, and there won't be one in the future if
	developers refuse to participate in the development mailing
lists HERE."
	Really ? Do you mean that without William Rowe, Covalent ( ) would have chosen an
other opensource product. Are you sure that no other company at all
would have found a way (or a brilliant developer) to make money from
"apache certified builds" ?

Um ... No, that's not at all what's being said. Quite apart from the
history of the founding of that company ... but that's utterly
irrelevant here. Companies aren't participants in Apache projects.
Individuals are.

What's being said is that Apache for Windows is a volunteer effort, and
that William Rowe is, at this moment, the most active of those
volunteers. It's not a threat at all. It's a reality.

Furthermore, Apache for Windows will only continue to exist if there is
a steady flow of these volunteers. This (dev@) is the forum in which
they operate. This, also, is not a threat, but a plain statement of the
reality of how this operates.

Likewise, Apache for BeOs existed due to the efforts of volunteers. It
no longer exists, because there are no longer volunteers to make it
exist. Again, reality, not threat.

I'm getting rather weary of the tone of this conversation. I'm still
naive enough to believe that most of us here truly believe in the notion
of Open Source. I'm also grown up enough to understand that most of us
here have a monthly water bill that we have to pay, and that making
money is actually a very handy thing, and not something to treat as
dirty to talk about.

Steffen, we welcome your participation. You have fixes that make 2.2.6
more usable on Windows. Great. Submit patches so that 2.2.7 and 2.2.8
contain those fixes. Help us make the world better.

Whatever you do will be insignificant, but it is very important that you
do it.

Mahatma Ghandi

View raw message