httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Nikolas Coukouma <at...@atrus.org>
Subject Re: IE7, application/x-tar and our archive.apache.org .tar.gz's
Date Tue, 11 Sep 2007 23:00:45 GMT
William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
> An example document, /dist/httpd/httpd-2.2.6.tar.gz is requested and
> Best I can figure, this is really "application/x-tar+x-gzip" (or would
> that be "application/x-gzip+x-tar"?) if we don't want to (and we don't
> want to) advertise the content stream as gzip'ed (preventing automatic
> inflation which would cause md5/asc sigs to mismatch).

Due to the lack of a real standard (AFAIK ...) that doesn't use content
encodings, it's hard to say what is correct. If it's decided to avoid
the use of Content-Encoding (is the hash and signature problem that
bad?), I'd suggest the use of the existing application/x-tgz over a new
type.

Regards,
-Nikolas