httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject IE7, application/x-tar and our archive.apache.org .tar.gz's
Date Tue, 11 Sep 2007 22:26:30 GMT
There seems to be troubles in paradise.  cc'ing httpd who had
recently updated mime-types.

I'm not speaking about IE7's refusal to assign quality quotients to
their Accept: alternatives, no, this is a bit trickier and it looks
like we are in the wrong.

An example document, /dist/httpd/httpd-2.2.6.tar.gz is requested and
received complete via netcat sniffing of request and query to a.a.o.
Firefox etc all receive the document complete.

But within IE7, the request is truncated at 4864kb instead of the
expected 6mb.  My best guess is that IE believes it can grok the file
as it's advertised content type.  This is observed on a number of
different IE7 boxes across several ISPs speaking to archive.a.o.

Best I can figure, this is really "application/x-tar+x-gzip" (or would
that be "application/x-gzip+x-tar"?) if we don't want to (and we don't
want to) advertise the content stream as gzip'ed (preventing automatic
inflation which would cause md5/asc sigs to mismatch).

Thoughts?

Bill