httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ruediger Pluem <rpl...@apache.org>
Subject Re: svn commit: r573264 - /httpd/httpd/trunk/include/scoreboard.h
Date Tue, 11 Sep 2007 20:39:28 GMT

On 09/11/2007 10:18 PM, Jim Jagielski wrote:

> On Sep 11, 2007, at 4:04 PM, Ruediger Pluem wrote:

>>> Requires a major bump. Also destroys all those mystical
>>
>> Curious again. Why a major bump? Because lb_score is being converted from
>> a complete type to an incomplete type?
>>

> That is one reason. Another is that any module, including
> mod_proxy, which needs to create the "old" lb_score needs
> to implement ap_proxy_lb_worker_size(). If that function
> doesn't exist, then even if they implement ap_proxy_lb_workers(),
> the lb score slot will be 0 size...

Just thinking. If some module did a

sizeof(lb_score)

it will fail to compile after the patch, because lb_score is now an
incomplete type. So I guess in order to keep it backportable we
need to stick with

typedef struct lb_score lb_score;
struct lb_score {
    unsigned char data[1024];
};

The improvement would be that we do not waste space any longer
if ap_proxy_lb_worker_size() is present and that we can be sure
that enough space is present if ap_proxy_lb_worker_size() is present
and returns more than 1024.

> I would say that if the code was adjusted so if
> the function did not exist, and the worker_size
> defaulted to 1024, then they would be no regressions
> for 3rd party modules, which would remove the bump and
> make it a viable 2.2 backport.

Sounds reasonable to me.  So +1 from me adjusting the patch
in a way that it defaults to 1024 if ap_proxy_lb_worker_size()
is missing.

Regards

RĂ¼diger