httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Apache 2.2.6, 2.0.61 and 1.3.39 release candidate tarballs for review
Date Thu, 06 Sep 2007 21:31:08 GMT
Jorge Schrauwen wrote:
> Windows users (my self included) usually go like:
> Dudez XYZ is broken, Fix it, Fix it, Fix it. When the dev's look at it
> and ask for more information they usually don't get it. So it isn't
> fixed at all or as fast as a linux bug would be.

You know, you hit the nail on the head.

has some great information, presuming the distributor of your win32 binaries
actually provides the .pdb debugging context files that are required to emit
a legible backtrace.

(Ok, not strictly required, a significantly less helpful backtrace is emitted
without .pdb's, no arguments from the call stack for example, but only if the
recommended /Oy- flag is passed to the compiler.  OpenSSL doesn't enable this
flag by default, so a crash behind an openssl callback from a stock build of
openssl will produce an entirely illegible backtrace.)

I'm going to rip section 2 of that document in two, one for live backtraces,
and a second for JIT/postmortem backtraces, since these seem shrouded in
mystery from many users/developers (and they shouldn't be).

View raw message