httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Apache 2.2.6, 2.0.61 and 1.3.39 release candidate tarballs for review
Date Thu, 06 Sep 2007 21:31:08 GMT
Jorge Schrauwen wrote:

> Windows users (my self included) usually go like:
> Dudez XYZ is broken, Fix it, Fix it, Fix it. When the dev's look at it
> and ask for more information they usually don't get it. So it isn't
> fixed at all or as fast as a linux bug would be.

You know, you hit the nail on the head.

  http://httpd.apache.org/dev/debugging.html

has some great information, presuming the distributor of your win32 binaries
actually provides the .pdb debugging context files that are required to emit
a legible backtrace.

(Ok, not strictly required, a significantly less helpful backtrace is emitted
without .pdb's, no arguments from the call stack for example, but only if the
recommended /Oy- flag is passed to the compiler.  OpenSSL doesn't enable this
flag by default, so a crash behind an openssl callback from a stock build of
openssl will produce an entirely illegible backtrace.)

I'm going to rip section 2 of that document in two, one for live backtraces,
and a second for JIT/postmortem backtraces, since these seem shrouded in
mystery from many users/developers (and they shouldn't be).

Bill