httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Apache 2.2.6, 2.0.61 and 1.3.39 release candidate tarballs for review
Date Wed, 05 Sep 2007 20:21:08 GMT
Steffen wrote:
> I have no zlib1.dll on my box and mod_deflate works fine. It's
> included/static in mod-deflate.so.
>
> Next time I shall ship it too, does not harm.

FYI - I haven't dug into the theory, but I'd presumed a possible race
and certainly suboptimal behavior if you go with OpenSSL's 'zlib-dynamic'
win32 implementation (actually any zlib-dynamic for a server application,
no matter which platform).  The optimal behavior is to enable-zlib to
openssl so it's simply present upon first-use of compressed TLS streams.
This is how I've configured openssl-0.9.8.

If you were to link static to both openssl and mod_deflate on win32, of
course that also works (and is also a redundancy ;-)

Bill