httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Ashwani Kumar Sharma" <Ashwani_Sha...@mindtree.com>
Subject RE: What is httpd -X?
Date Fri, 21 Sep 2007 09:44:34 GMT
Hi,

Thanks for your reply.
I tried this out but, still I am not able to kill both the httpd.exe through
kill.

Can you please tell me how to kill both the httpd.exe process by passing only
the parent pid on Windows.

Thanks and Regards,
Ashwani Sharma
Mob: 09916454843
Off: +91-80-26265053

-----Original Message-----
From: jslive@gmail.com [mailto:jslive@gmail.com] On Behalf Of Joshua Slive
Sent: Thursday, September 20, 2007 8:04 PM
To: dev@httpd.apache.org
Subject: Re: What is httpd -X?

On 9/20/07, Ashwani Kumar Sharma <Ashwani_Sharma@mindtree.com> wrote:

> I want to start the httpd web server through my own application and then I
> would like to shut down the web server once I wish to bring my application
> down, normally or abnormally (in case).
>
> Will it be fine if I spawn the Apache web server by httpd -X option? Would
it
> create some unforeseen prob in my application.
>
> All this I am doing so that I can kill the apache web server through
> kill(pid, sigkill) option. Killing two httpd processes after spawning two
> httpd processes is difficult.

No, this is not the right solution.

As has already been pointed out in this thread, -DNO_DETACH is
available if you just don't want apache detaching.

But even easier, you only have to kill one single process (the apache
parent process written to the httpd.pid log file) and that process
will take care of killing off all the rest. But you do it withh
SIGTERM, not SIGKILL, to give the process a chance to do the cleanup.

Joshua.

DISCLAIMER:
This message (including attachment if any) is confidential and may be privileged. If you have
received this message by mistake please notify the sender by return e-mail and delete this
message from your system. Any unauthorized use or dissemination of this message in whole or
in part is strictly prohibited.
E-mail may contain viruses. Before opening attachments please check them for viruses and defects.
While MindTree Consulting Limited (MindTree) has put in place checks to minimize the risks,
MindTree will not be responsible for any viruses or defects or any forwarded attachments emanating
either from within MindTree or outside.
Please note that e-mails are susceptible to change and MindTree shall not be liable for any
improper, untimely or incomplete transmission.
MindTree reserves the right to monitor and review the content of all messages sent to or from
MindTree e-mail address. Messages sent to or from this e-mail address may be stored on the
MindTree e-mail system or else where.