httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Erik Abele <e...@codefaktor.de>
Subject Re: 2.2.7
Date Thu, 27 Sep 2007 14:34:00 GMT
On 27.09.2007, at 10:05, Fran├žois wrote:

>> 2007/9/27, William A. Rowe, Jr. <wrowe@rowe-clan.net>:
>>
>> [...] Here at dev@httpd we are trying to create a better server,
>> and having
>> fun in the process.  As long as we don't splinter the effort of
>> improving
>> httpd server or make more work for the project members, we'll all
>> have fun
>> at it.  I'm not picking on you, let's solve the issues.
>>
>> Bill

> And the "we, for fun against you, for profit" argument is well
> demonstrated by a more recent mail of Nick Kew:
> "Some apache developers, including myself[1], make a living doing
> contract work for companies with development needs, such as yours.
> If you have a budget, I'll be happy to talk to you.  The fact you're
> looking to make it available as open source will qualify you for
> a reduction in my standard rate."
>
> (And you talk about spam regarding apachelounge, please...)
>
> Thus, Apache commiters or developers are developping for fun
> (sometimes for fame) AND profit. ...

Sure, we all have to pay our bills but you're overlooking a
difference: Nick just replied to an inquiry offering his (and others
services); he doesn't advertise any revenue-generating site after
every release etc. etc... ;-0

Again, Steffens contributions would be very welcomed *here* if this
whole AL thing were just not that misleading - hey, with some effort
he could e.g. help out constructively by building these binaries in a
transparent and documented way *here* and we could even distribute
them from apache.org/dist (plus mirrors) to help the win community
even more!

Just my 2c...

Cheers,
Erik