httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Rich Bowen <rbo...@rcbowen.com>
Subject Re: 2.2.7
Date Thu, 27 Sep 2007 13:38:53 GMT

> Regarding the threatening mail from Roy T. Fielding, :
> "There would not be a windows version of Apache without Bill's efforts
> to keep it alive, and there won't be one in the future if windows
> developers refuse to participate in the development mailing lists
> HERE."
>
> Really ? Do you mean that without William Rowe, Covalent ( http://
> www.covalent.net/about/management.html ) would have chosen an other
> opensource product. Are you sure that no other company at all would
> have found a way (or a brilliant developer) to make money from
> "apache certified builds" ?

Um ... No, that's not at all what's being said. Quite apart from the
history of the founding of that company ... but that's utterly
irrelevant here. Companies aren't participants in Apache projects.
Individuals are.

What's being said is that Apache for Windows is a volunteer effort,
and that William Rowe is, at this moment, the most active of those
volunteers. It's not a threat at all. It's a reality.

Furthermore, Apache for Windows will only continue to exist if there
is a steady flow of these volunteers. This (dev@) is the forum in
which they operate. This, also, is not a threat, but a plain
statement of the reality of how this operates.

Likewise, Apache for BeOs existed due to the efforts of volunteers.
It no longer exists, because there are no longer volunteers to make
it exist. Again, reality, not threat.

I'm getting rather weary of the tone of this conversation. I'm still
naive enough to believe that most of us here truly believe in the
notion of Open Source. I'm also grown up enough to understand that
most of us here have a monthly water bill that we have to pay, and
that making money is actually a very handy thing, and not something
to treat as dirty to talk about.

Steffen, we welcome your participation. You have fixes that make
2.2.6 more usable on Windows. Great. Submit patches so that 2.2.7 and
2.2.8 contain those fixes. Help us make the world better.

--
Whatever you do will be insignificant, but it is very important that
you do it.