httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Andreas Kotes <count-li...@flatline.de>
Subject Re: What is httpd -X?
Date Thu, 20 Sep 2007 13:51:31 GMT
Hello,

* Joshua Slive <joshua@slive.ca> [20070920 15:12]:
> On 9/20/07, Ashwani Kumar Sharma <Ashwani_Sharma@mindtree.com> wrote:
> > Whether I can use this –X option for the deployment.
>
> The better question is: why would you want to?
>
> You mention nothing about what problem you are trying to solve, so
> there isn't much advice we can give you. But I can't imagine many
> problems where running a single-process, non-detached web server in
> production would be the right solution.

well, we had a special case where just about everything was handled by
a custom (threaded) apache module .. one process was just fine, and not
detaching allowed us to respawn directly via init ...

we've moved from -X to -DNO_DETACH, thou, so we can do graceful restarts
- those are completely disabled when -X is used, as this is mainly for
debugging .. might be a reason why it's not really in the helppage.

Br,

   Andreas

--
flatline IT services - Andreas Kotes - Tailored solutions for your IT needs