httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Phil Endecott" <spam_from_apache_de...@chezphil.org>
Subject Re: Apache proxy engineering specs
Date Mon, 10 Sep 2007 15:19:02 GMT
William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
> Shaw, Dan wrote:
>>
>>    1. Does a apache proxy server create stateful or stateless connection
>>       upon request?
>
> It might help to clarify right off that RFC 2616 defines HTTP/1.1 and prior
> as stateless protocols.

Dan, maybe you mean "persistent" rather than "stateful"?  At least for
the "reverse proxy" setup, which I believe is what you're considering,
mod_proxy does implement persistent connections to the server, if
configured to do so.  Search for "smax" on the mod_proxy documentation
page.  In fact I've found the connections to be rather too persistent
in some cases (see my messages in the "mod_proxy: is smax=0 allowed" thread).

>> 2. On the transport layer does the proxy server stream data or send ACK back to originating
>> request and then continue with sending request from proxy to end server/point?

I believe that it streams the data with a buffer size set by the
ProxyIOBufferSize directive.  Or something like that.  But I have a
vague recollection that there is some sort of issue with the
content-length header, i.e. you don't know what it should say until all
the data has been sent.

Regards,

Phil.