httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Phil Endecott" <spam_from_apache_de...@chezphil.org>
Subject mod_proxy: Is smax=0 allowed ?
Date Tue, 04 Sep 2007 22:05:18 GMT
Dear Experts,

According to the mod_proxy docs, parameters to ProxyPass include:

   smax   max   Upto the Soft Maximum number of connections will be
created on demand.
                Any connections above smax are subject to a time to live
or ttl.

So, am I allowed to set smax=0 ?  In my case, I don't want any
permanent connections to the backend server; when the site is being
used connections should be created and can persist for a while and then
time out.  So I tried "smax=0 ttl=60".  But I have not seen any
connections being dropped.  So I looked at the source, and in
proxy_util.c there is some code that does this:

if (worker->smax == 0 || worker->smax > worker->hmax) {
   worker->smax = worker->hmax;
}

So it looks like 0 is a sentinel for "no value specified", and the
default of the hard maximum is applied in that case.  Is this a correct
understanding of the code?  If so, is this the desired behaviour?  Is
it possible to keep no permanent connections to the backend server?

Many thanks for any advice.

Regards,

Phil.

(I'm subscribed to the digest so I'll see any replies sooner if you Cc: me)