httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Graham Dumpleton" <graham.dumple...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: OS/X + Cisco VPN == trouble
Date Sat, 25 Aug 2007 04:14:54 GMT
On 24/08/07, Jim Jagielski <jim@jagunet.com> wrote:

> On Aug 23, 2007, at 8:56 PM, Ian Holsman wrote:
>
> > Hi.
> >
> > This one is frustrating me to no end, and was wondering if some BSD/
> > OSX guru can help  me out a bit.
> >
> > I'm using the trunk, and trying to start apache, but I keep getting
> > a lock/sem problem
> >
> > [Fri Aug 24 10:51:53 2007] [emerg] (28)No space left on device:
> > Couldn't create accept lock
> >
> > this only happens if I have run the VPN. when I reboot it works
> > great (until I check into the VPN).
> >
> > from what I can see this error is usually caused by running out of
> > sempahores, but ipcs doesn't show any.
> > and to make matters worse, it only started happening about 2 weeks
> > ago.
> >
> > regards
> > Ian
> >

> IIRC, aren't the default sems on OS X Posix sems, not SysV sems??
> ipcs just shows SysV stats

The source has:

    case APR_LOCK_DEFAULT:
#if APR_USE_FLOCK_SERIALIZE
        new_mutex->inter_meth = &mutex_flock_methods;
#elif APR_USE_SYSVSEM_SERIALIZE
        new_mutex->inter_meth = &mutex_sysv_methods;
#elif APR_USE_FCNTL_SERIALIZE
        new_mutex->inter_meth = &mutex_fcntl_methods;
#elif APR_USE_PROC_PTHREAD_SERIALIZE
        new_mutex->inter_meth = &mutex_proc_pthread_methods;
#elif APR_USE_POSIXSEM_SERIALIZE
        new_mutex->inter_meth = &mutex_posixsem_methods;
#else
        return APR_ENOTIMPL;
#endif

For my MacOS X PPC system, the apr.h header file has:

#define APR_USE_FLOCK_SERIALIZE           0
#define APR_USE_SYSVSEM_SERIALIZE         1
#define APR_USE_POSIXSEM_SERIALIZE        0
#define APR_USE_FCNTL_SERIALIZE           0
#define APR_USE_PROC_PTHREAD_SERIALIZE    0
#define APR_USE_PTHREAD_SERIALIZE         1

So default will always map to SYSVSEM.

You need to check your apr.h header file to see what is enabled and
would thus be used as default based on order that code checks.

Graham